This square is situated on the banks of Rio Gilao and the Roman Bridge where you can cross to the north bank of the river, gather around the old and elegant homes in the area. If we go south we find the old Marché of Ribeira (Mercado de la Ribera), which has become an important commercial center. This square contrasts with its modern style with old churches, towers, domes and medieval walls that surround it. It is surrounded by a stage and semicircular stone steps for public performances that are held. At its center there is the monument to the soldiers of the First World War.
This small and well kept square, opposite the Church of St. Joseph Hospital or the Holy Spirit (Igreja de Sào José do Hospital or do Espírito Santo), has large palm trees, flowering begonias and a central statue in tribute to the famous Dr. Augusto Da Silva Carvalho, ve was a great doctor, teacher, scholar and publicist born in 1861 and died in 1957.