The Oulu Cathedral is an Evangelical Lutheran cathedral and the seat of the Diocese of Oulu in the heart of the city. The church was constructed in the year 1777 as a tribute to King Gustav III of Sweden and named after his wife as Magdalena Sophia Church. The wooden structures burned in the fire that occurred in Oulu in 1822. The church was reconstructed on the old remains, as designed by the architect Carl Ludvig Engel. The restoration finished in the year 1832 but the tower was not set up until the year 1845.